I have a few bad habits that I would like to point out in the hopes that by identifying these habits, I will be able to stop them.
- Nervous Tics-I have never been good at hiding my emotions, especially when I’m nervous. Over the years I have developed many nervous ticks, such as excessively opening and closing my hands, biting my nails, pacing, and scratching my head (I mean, like literally raking my fingers through my hair until little bits of my skin come off-yuck I know, but it’s true). I have slowly been able to wean myself off of some of these habits, but I usually just end up developing a new tic. One day I’ll be normal haha.
- Eating Fast Food/Over-eating-Some of my family members work at a local fast-food restaurant and they frequently bring home fast food. I don’t know how many burgers and french fries I’ve eaten in the past month, but it’s way too many to count. I definitely need to cut back on the fast food and overeating in general.
- Procrastinating-I have a bad habit of making to-do lists and not checking every single task off. Some tasks that I often procrastinate on include: washing dishes, folding my laundry and putting it away, cooking (the microwave is just sooo much easier!), waking up, going to sleep…
- Avoidance-when things get tough, many times I find myself avoiding the person or situation that brought about the negative emotion I experience. In order to better myself, I must learn to face the music and deal with whatever problem I am facing once and for all. This is the only way I will be able to move forward confidently.
- Cursing-I mean sometimes a four-letter word is just perfect for the situation. It could also be offensive to others. Sometimes I get so used to cursing that I curse during inappropriate situations or around people who may not know that I curse or are not used to hearing me curse. I’m working on this, mainly by replacing curse words with weird phrases. For example, instead of saying “Holy s**t!” I say “Holy french fry!” Surprisingly, it works.
- Being a Worry Wart-I have always worried excessively. It’s actually this worrying and anxiety that has brought about the nervous ticks and avoidance. I feel that I’ve become less of a worry-wart, but every now and then I’ll have a panic attack where I’ll feel like the world is caving in on me, that I’ll never pay off my student loans or save for my own place. I just have to keep reminding myself to breathe and that change comes slowly.
- Being a Chatter Box-I’m a very shy person…until I start talking and talking and talking. My own family have learned to ignore me while I ramble. I’m not really sure of how to stop talking excessively, but I’ll look into it.
- Talking to myself-(mainly because I run out of other people to talk to).
- Skipping Doctor Visits-This is a big deal. I mean, we only get one body, and I’m doing a pretty terrible job of maintaining the health of mine! I overeat, don’t really exercise, and, to top it all off, I rarely go to the doctor. I have recently applied for medical insurance, so maybe I’ll go for a visit sometime.
- Staying Out of Touch with People-this may be a part of the avoidance behavior I exhibit, but I feel it is slightly different. There are a lot of people who have helped me over the years that I no longer talk to anymore. It’s not that I don’t want to, it’s that I just haven’t put any effort into reconnecting with anyone. I definitely need to start messaging people more often and going on outings with friends again.
What are you bad habits and how are you working on overcoming them? Feel free to post in the comments section below!
Ta Ta For Now!